Become a Member
In June 2015 we launched our very first membership program designed to:
- Welcome individuals, businesses, and organizations in Tucson (and beyond!) to support and engage in our mission,
- Involve you in our wild-foods-related volunteer projects, and/or
- Teach community members about planting, growing, irrigating with free on-site waters, and harvesting wild Sonoran Desert foods in the built environment—all in a way that enhances available harvests—for native pollinators, birds and animal species, and humans alike—and the living systems that support them.
In short, we invite you to celebrate the harvests of the Sonoran Desert—right in your yard, on your street, in your neighborhood, and anywhere else it’s ethical to harvest within your community!
In addition to the fun and satisfaction of being part of a Tucson culture-boosting organization, other member perks include:
- Invitations to member- and volunteer-only events, including special hands-on workshops on harvesting and processing various wild native foods,
- Discounts on selected Desert Harvesters events, and
- $5 discount on Desert Harvesters t-shirts.
How to Join Desert Harvesters’ Membership Program:
1. Peruse our membership guild below.
2. Choose a track that best reflects how our mission and your interests overlap. For example, if you are a person who especially loves to plant and tend native, multi-use vegetation, the Native Plants track (in green) would be a good fit.
3. Next, choose a membership level that works for you. Continuing with the example above, you know that you can realistically afford and be excited to contribute at the Understory level: $60/year. A sliding scale is available to accommodate and welcome people from the widest possible range of financial circumstances.
4. See where the two intersect, and what native species inhabits that spot. Therefore, look at the green Native Plants column and scan down to the $60 Understory level: Chuparosa.
5. Now, click the grid to visit our Square store (if you want to pay by credit card). Instructions for mailing in your payment in check form are down at the bottom of this page.
6. Once there, locate your chosen species from above (chuparosa in this example) and click to add that membership to your basket. Here’s where you can scale down a notch or two, or scale up a notch or two, within the given scale.
7. When you are ready, go to the basket to check out. While completing payment for your membership with your credit card, please be sure to fill in the Shipping information. While we won’t need to mail your membership to you (you will get a receipt via email), this section is how we will receive your name, address, phone number (optional), and email address. This way we can keep you apprised of upcoming events, send you member-related correspondence (including your annual tax-deductible donation letter), and provide other news relating to our shared mission. We’re a mostly volunteer-run organization, so don’t worry—we are very unlikely to inundate your mailbox with chaff! And you can unsubscribe from our emails at any time.
8. If you have any questions, please send an email to membership@DesertHarvesters.org and we will be glad to help you navigate.
Thank you for your support and participation!
Fine print below the guild. More information to come about the species we’ve chosen for this year’s guild.
1. Memberships are by calendar year. Renewal notices go out in November of the calendar year following your most recent membership contribution. For example, making a membership donation at any point during 2016 classifies you as a 2016 member. Unless you renew before November of 2017, you will get a renewal notice in November 2017. So long as you renew by December 31, 2017, your membership will continue uninterrupted. Again, if you have any questions, please send an email to membership@DesertHarvesters.org!
2. NEST, Inc., dba Desert Harvesters, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. All donations, including membership contributions, are tax deductible.
3. Checks for memberships (or donations) can be made out to Desert Harvesters and sent via U.S. mail to Desert Harvesters, P.O. Box 92, Tucson AZ 85702. If you are joining us as a member, please print out and fill in our membership form and include it (or all the same info written on scratch paper) with your check. THANK YOU!