Note: The following information describes how we run DESERT HARVESTERS-hosted milling events; however, at events hosted by other organizations the milling may be organized quite differently. Most of the events at which we mill mesquite pods are hosted by other organizations that hire us just for the milling. At such events, it is up to the host to determine how the milling will be organized. However, please note that the pod-quality safety and health requirements are non-negotiable and must be observed at every event at which Desert Harvesters is providing milling services.
- Our DESERT HARVESTERS milling event is held in June before the summer rains, and during the peak of the traditional bean-tree harvests. Harvesting pre-rains is the best practice to avoid invisible toxic molds. See here for more on why pre-rain harvests are the traditional practice, and so important.
- Other organizations hire us for millings in October and November, when we are well out of the humid summer monsoon weather. This ensures that stored mesquite pods (not milled at the ideal time of June) have a chance to dry well and will not reabsorb moisture from the high dew point of the monsoon season. Moist pods bind up the mill.
- We charge $3 per gallon of whole pods, with a minimum of $10. This generally works out to a cost of about $3 per pound of flour milled. This is a bargain considering that the flour usually sells for $14 to $20 per pound.
- We encourage all those wanting to mill mesquite pods to harvest at least 3 to 5 gallons of whole pods so they will have at least a gallon of flour after milling. We charge a minimum of $10 to mill any amount of whole pods, both to encourage folks to harvest more pods, as well as to cover the costs of operating, maintaining, and insuring the mill, as well as paying our staff.
- Only clean, dry seedpods that “snap” when bent will be milled. If they bend rather than snap, they are too moist and will clog the mill. (See the Harvesting and Storage tips page). Pods must be clean and free of stones, dirt, leaves, and black mold otherwise they will not be milled. We will not risk damaging the mill or contaminating the flour. Please note that these pod-quality safety and health requirements are non-negotiable and must be observed at every event at which Desert Harvesters is providing milling services. Note: carob pods can also be milled as long as at least 10 gallons of mesquite pods are also provided with which we can flush the carob out of the mill. This “flushing” will produce a delicious mesquite/carob flour blend that will go to whoever provides the carob and mesquite pods for milling.
- We typically will allow individuals/households to grind up to 15 gallons of whole pods each at the public milling event. The reason for all this is because in the past, many people with only a few pods had to wait hours behind a few people with many pods. However, if there is no one else waiting to mill their pods at a public event, we could mill more than 15 gallons of pods for an individual.
- You can drop your pods off for milling (after inspection and payment) if you bring your pods in sealed food-grade containers (preferably 5-gallon plastic buckets with lids) with your name, email, and phone number(s) on all the containers. You can often get these buckets with lids for free or at very low cost from bakeries, doughnut shops, and delis. Within about a week Desert Harvesters staff will mill the pods and call the owners when the flour is ready. If the flour is not picked up within 10 days of notification it becomes property of Desert Harvesters. There will be no refunds.
- Those having their pods milled must bring food-grade containers into which we can place your flour. If you don’t bring a container, we can provide you 1-gallon zip lock bags at a cost of $1 per bag.
- No individual, household, or family will be allowed to grind more than 45 gallons of whole pods, unless they rent the mill and pay staff at the daily/hourly rate. This is to lessen the chance of folks grinding pods for sale rather than personal use. If you want to grind pods for sale, we have a commercial rental rate for the mill and staff.
- Once your pods have passed inspection and the milling fee paid, you will be given a voucher for your pods, allowing you to enjoy other aspects of the event while your pods are moved through the line and processed in your absence.